2015 Robbins Farm Park Events
If you have an event at Robbins Farm Park or in the neighborhood and would like to post it here on the web site, or are interested in volunteering to help out at one of our events, please get in touch with us at: email@example.com
FRIENDS OF ROBBINS FARM PARK EVENTS
- Spring Cleanup & Kite Day-------Saturday, May 2nd, 9am
Bring your trowels, rakes, leaf rakes, shovels and pruning shears and meet your neighbors at the Park! And while we're there, we'll celebrate the crocus, daffodils and tulips planted at Robbins Farm Park last fall! At 1pm, bring you kites as well and hope for good wind at one of the area's best kite-flying locations. If you come early and help in the cleanup, you'll get a free kite.
- Independence Day Celebration----------Saturday, July 4th, 6pm
On the 4th of July, Arlington will again celebrate America's birthday in style at Robbins Farm Park.There will be music, refreshments, and of course, the Boston Pops Orchestra and Fireworks on the giant screen (fireworks start at 10:30pm). The event is free and open to all.
- Harvard Alumni Jazz Band -------------Thursday, July 16th, 6pm
Join us on for a free jazz concert by the Alumni Jazz Band, a 15-piece jazz big band with members from Arlington and surrounding communities. Enjoy the music of Count Basie, Charles Mingus, Miles Davis, and many others! The concert is FREE thanks to the generosity of the band, which includes neighborhood resident Allen Feinstein. This is a great event for all ages. We encourage people to bring your own picnic dinner.
- Shakespeare in the Park------- Sunday, July 19th, 5pm
The Friends of Robbins Farm Park are again pleased to co-sponsor another summer Shakespeare performance. This year's play is "A Midsummer Night's Dream". It will be performed by the Classic Repertory Company of New Repertory Theater at Robbins Farm Park.
- Classical Concert (with members of the Arlington Philharmonic Orchestra)----Saturday, August 1st 6pm - 7:30pm
A NEW EVENT at Robbins Farm Park! Join us for a free classical music concert with performers from the Arlington Philharmonic Orchestra with members from Arlington and surrounding communities. The concert is FREE and features music from diverse composers, including Rossini, Joplin and Mozart. This is a great event for all ages. We encourage people to bring their own picnic dinner. This program is supported in part by a grant from the Arlington Cultural Council, a local agency which is supported by the Massachusetts Cultural Council, a state agency. (Rain or Shine!)
- Rockin' Robbins Concert------------ Saturday, August 29th, 4:30 - 7:30 pm
For this year's RR concert we've invited back two bands that have entertained us in previous summers, Walk Don't Run and Just Another Guru. They play music that truly runs the spectrum of rock, pop, folk, blues, and soul. It will be a family fun event and of course it's free! We encourage you spread out a blanket and bring a picnic.
WALK DON'T RUN plays melodic pop/rock with blues and country influences. Straight-ahead beats and harmony vocals are blended with retro-rock grooves in their music. Pat & Mary Tambor, former residents of our community, are our local connection. The band features Ron O'Brien on Guitar, Colin O'Dwyer on Bass, Pat Tambor on Drums & Vocals, Poster Girl Mary Tambor Singing, Charlie Wear Keyboards & Vocals. Hear some WDR music here:Walk Don't Run
JUST ANOTHER GURU (and Friends) combines vocal harmonies with a soulful guitar, funky bass lines, some rhythmic mandolin and creative percussion. The band features Arlington's John Gearin on Guitar & Vocals, Eric Arnold on Guitars & Mandolin, Chris Axworthy on Harmonica, & Ian Ives Percussion. They are joined by Colin O'Dwyer on Bass, Arlington's Krys Murphy on Vocals, and (from Walk Don't Run) Pat Tambor on Drums. You can get more into Guru at justanotherguru.com
- Arlington Short Animation Film Festival-------Saturday, August 29th, (rain date: Saturday, August 30th) This is the third year running we're presenting this fun evening outdoor festival showcasing local animated work for all ages. Animated shorts will be projected on an outdoor screen. The films will start after 7:30 pm when the sun has set. Bring a picnic and blanket, buy some food from our vendors, and enjoy the night! The event is presented by Arlington Community Media Inc, Arlington Center for the Arts, The Friends of Robbins Farm Park, and Arlington International Film Festival.
- Town Day------- Saturday, September 12th, 10am to 3pm
Come by the FORFP booth and say hello!
- Annual Field Day------- Saturday, October 17th, 1pm to 5pm
This family-oriented event will include old-fashioned races (3-legged, egg-on-the spoon, sack race, etc.) and a nature scavenger hunt. Moon walks, face painting, and seasonal refreshments will be available for a nominal charge.
- Fall Cleanup------- Saturday, November 7th, 9am
Join your friends and neighbors to get the park ready for winter (and spring)!
END OF SUMMER FESTIVAL AT ROBBINS FARM PARK - TWO FAMILY FUN EVENTS ON THE SAME DAY!
Come for the jams, stay for the flicks! Food and beverages will be available for purchase to sustain the adventurous.
OTHER EVENTS AT ROBBINS FARM PARK
- Astronomy Nights 2015 with Jeff Alexander
Explore the wonders of the deep sky! Use the summer constellations to learn to locate deep sky objects like star clusters, galaxies, and nebulas. Some of these objects can even be spotted with binoculars on a dark night, so bring a pair if you have them! Click here for details.
- Free Family Folk Dance -------------------------- Sunday, July 19th, 2pm to 4pm (rain date: Sunday, August 2nd)
The Folk Arts Center of New England has been awarded a grant from the Arlington Cultural Council to hold the second annual Family Folk Dance, near the playground at Robbins Farm Park, on July 19th, 2pm to 4pm (weather permitting). Live professional folk musicians will be providing traditional dance music from around the world. Beginners and children are welcome to join in this free participatory dance. International and American folk dances will all be taught by Marcie Van Cleave, who is gifted at making folk dancing great fun for all ages. If you're not sure you want to dance, you can stop by to watch, and enjoy the live world music and the park. For possible weather cancellation, call 781-438-4389 or check The Folk Arts Center of New England after noon on the day of the dance.
(All event details subject to change and to approval by the Arlington Recreation Department)
This year's calendar will be updated as events are planned.