2014 Robbins Farm Park Events
If you have an event at Robbins Farm Park or in the neighborhood and would like to post it here on the web site, or are interested in volunteering to help out at one of our events, please get in touch with us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
FRIENDS OF ROBBINS FARM PARK EVENTS
- Spring Cleanup & Kite Day-------Saturday, May 3rd, 9am Bring your trowels, rakes, leaf rakes, shovels and pruning shears and meet your neighbors at the Park! And while we're there, we'll celebrate the crocus, daffodils and tulips planted at Robbins Farm Park last fall! At 1pm, bring you kites as well and hope for good wind at one of the area's best kite-flying locations. If you come early and help in the cleanup, you'll get a free kite.
- Independence Day Celebration-------CANCELED--- Friday, July 4th, 6pm
On the 4th of July, Arlington will again celebrate America's birthday in style at Robbins Farm Park. There will be musical entertainment provided by the "The Reminisants", refreshments, and of course, the Boston Pops Orchestra and Fireworks on the giant screen (fireworks start at 10:30pm). The event is free and open to all.
- Shakespeare in the Park------- Sunday, July 13th, 5pm
The Friends of Robbins Farm Park are again pleased to co-sponsor another summer Shakespeare performance. This year's play is "A Midsummer Night's Dream". It will be performed by the New Rep Theater at Menotomy Rocks Park. The performance will be repeated on July 27th at 5pm at the Arlington Children's Theater.
- Harvard Alumni Jazz Band -------------Thursday, July 17th, 6pm
Join us on for a free jazz concert by the Alumni Jazz Band, a 15-piece jazz big band with members from Arlington and surrounding communities. Enjoy the music of Count Basie, Charles Mingus, Miles Davis, and many others! The concert is FREE thanks to the generosity of the band, which includes neighborhood resident Allen Feinstein. This is a great event for all ages. We encourage people to bring your own picnic dinner.
A rain or shine event, the concert will be moved to the theater at the UU First Parish Church in Arlington Center if necessary. Watch our home page for the latest info.
- Classical Concert (featuring members of the Arlington Philharmonic Orchestra)----CANCELED--Saturday, August 2nd, 6pm
A NEW EVENT at Robbins Farm Park! Join us on for a free classical music concert with performers from the Arlington Philharmonic Orchestra with members from Arlington and surrounding communities. The program will include music by Richard Strauss, Giuseppe Verdi, Scott Joplin, George Gershwin. The concert is FREE thanks to the generosity of the APO performers. This is a great event for all ages. We encourage people to bring your own picnic dinner.
- Animation Festival-------Friday, August 8th, (rain date: Saturday, August 9th
An evening outdoor festival showcasing local animated work for all ages. Animated shorts will be projected on an outdoor screen.
The films will start at 8:30pm when the sun has set. Bring a picnic and blanket, buy some food from our vendors, and enjoy the night!
The event is presented by Arlington Community Media Inc, Arlington Center for the Arts, The Friends of Robbins Farm Park, and Arlington International Film Festival.
- Rockin' Robbins Concert------------ Saturday, August 16th, 4pm
For this year's RR concert we've invited back two bands that have entertained us in previous summers, Walk Don't Run and Just Another Guru. They play music that truly runs the spectrum of rock, pop, folk, blues, and soul. It will be a family fun event and of course it's free! We encourage you spread out a blanket and bring a picnic.
WALK DON'T RUN plays melodic pop/rock with blues and country influences. Straight-ahead beats and harmony vocals are blended with retro-rock grooves in their music. Pat & Mary Tambor, former residents of our community, are our local connection. The band features Ron O'Brien on Guitar, Greg Sciaba on Bass, Pat Tambor on Drums & Vocals, Poster Girl Mary Tambor Singing, Charlie Wear Keyboards & Vocals. Hear some WDR music here: Walk Don't Run
JUST ANOTHER GURU (and Friends) combines vocal harmonies with a soulful guitar, funky bass lines, some rhythmic mandolin and creative percussion. The band features Arlington's John Gearin on Guitar & Vocals, Chris Axworthy on Harmonica, & Ian Ives Percussion, are joined by Arlington's Krys Murphy on Vocals and (from Walk Don't Run) Greg Sciaba on Bass, and Pat Tambor on Drums
- Moonlight Beach Party-------------Saturday, September 6th, 7pm to 11pm, Reservoir Beach
- Town Day------- Saturday, September 13th (rain date September 20th), 10am to 3pm
Come by the FORFP booth and say hello!
- Annual Field Day------- Saturday, October 18th, 1pm to 5pm
This family-oriented event will include old-fashioned races (3-legged, egg-on-the spoon, sack race, etc.) and a nature scavenger hunt. Moon walks, face painting, and seasonal refreshments will be available for a nominal charge.
- Fall Cleanup------- Saturday, November 1st, 9am
Join your friends and neighbors to get the park ready for winter (and spring)!
OTHER EVENTS AT ROBBINS FARM PARK
- Astronomy Night '14 with Jeff Alexander-------Saturday, April 12th, 8:00pm
Jupiter has been shining bright over the winter and is high up at dusk. See Jupiter's moons and watch as one disappears behind the planet. Mars is rising in the east, and a nearly full Moon combined with Jupiter help illustrate the ecliptic - the rough plane on which the planets and our moon orbit.
- Astronomy Night '14 with Jeff Alexander-------Saturday, May 31st, 8:45pm
Planets galore! Mars is high in the sky while Saturn rises in the East and Jupiter is now setting in the West. See a sliver of the new Moon set while the stars and planets come out and say goodbye to Jupiter.
- 2014 Arlington Soap Box Derby -------Saturday, June 7th, 9am to 4pm
the ASBDA is a youth racing event that is open to boys and girls between the ages of 7 through 17 who reside in Eastern Massachusetts.
- Astronomy Night '14 with Jeff Alexander-------Saturday, July 5th, 9:00pm
Moon, meet Mars. The first-quarter moon lights up the night sky and has a visitor. This evening, Mars will appear to pass right beside the Moon. With the moon partially lit, it is a great time to see the craters and rough terrain of the Moon in a telescope or even through binoculars. Look for spots around the light/dark line (called the terminator) where you can see shadows cast by peaks on the lunar surface.
- Family Dance at Robbins Farm Park --------------- Sunday, August 3, 2014, 3-5 pm
Folk Arts New England invites you to join them for an afternoon of family-friendlyfolk dancing on the soccer field at Robbins Farm Park. Fun for all ages - everyone is welcome! Admission is FREE. Dancing will be led by Marcie Van Cleave.
For updates on cancellation because of bad weather, call 781-438-4389 after noon on the day of the dance, or check the Folk Arts Center homepage at www.facone.org. The event is sponsored by the Folk Arts Center of New England, which includes many active members from Arlington.
- Astronomy Night '14 with Jeff Alexander-------Saturday, August 16th, 9:00pm
Explore the wonders of the deep sky! Use the summer constellations to learn to locate deep sky objects like star clusters, galaxies, and nebulas. Some of these objects can even be spotted with binoculars on a dark night, so bring a pair if you have them!
(All event details subject to change and to approval by the Arlington Recreation Department)
This year's calendar will be updated as events are planned.